Daytona Beach Motorcycle Accident Lawyer

A motorcycle accident can leave you with life-changing injuries that can transform not only your physical appearance but also your lifestyle and your ability to earn an income. An accident can dramatically transform your life and the lives of your loved ones in a matter of seconds, leaving you feeling terrified about the future.

Daytona Beach Motorcycle Accident Lawyer

But if your motorcycle accident was the result of another driver’s negligence, a Daytona Beach personal injury lawyer may be able to help you receive compensation to cover medical bills and other damages.

Serving Daytona Beach, motorcycle accident lawyer Robert J. Horst has worked with many clients, striving to help them find justice. If you or a loved one were injured in a motorcycle accident, contact top Florida personal injury attorney, Robert J. Horst to discuss your case in a free, no-obligation case consultation session. Call (407) 601-3999.

Common Questions After a Florida Motorcycle Accident

Most potential clients have never been involved in a personal injury lawsuit before, so many are unsure of what to expect and how their case will proceed.

The following are some of the most common questions and concerns that attorney Robert J. Horst receives while speaking with clients who’ve been injured in a motorcycle crash.

What Should I Do After a Motorcycle Accident?

Immediately following a collision, it’s important to seek out medical attention for any injuries. Motorcycles offer virtually no protection to the rider, so it’s important to get evaluated even if you don’t feel injured. High adrenaline levels following a crash can conceal the pain from a potentially serious injury.

If you are in a position to do so, you should also take photographs of the accident scene, including both vehicles, the position of the vehicles relative to each other, any property damage, your injuries and the damage to your bike.

It’s important to limit your statements about the accident until you consult an attorney. A personal injury lawyer should be contacted as soon as possible. Statements (especially those that imply or admit fault) may have an impact in your case, so it’s wise to consult an attorney immediately.

I Wasn’t Wearing a Helmet. Can I Still File a Lawsuit?

Florida does not require motorcyclists to wear a helmet, so this generally does not prevent a client from receiving compensation in cases where the other motorist holds a majority of the fault.

Should I Try to Talk to the Other Side’s Attorney or Insurance Company After My Accident?

Following a Daytona Beach motorcycle accident, attorneys for the other side and insurance company representatives may attempt to contact you. It is best to avoid speaking with these individuals and hire a personal injury lawyer to represent you in your case.

In Florida, personal injury lawyers are permitted to speak to these individuals on your behalf and attorney Robert J. Horst will work to maximize your compensation.

Notably, speaking directly to another driver’s attorney can harm your case. You may also see a small fraction of the compensation you are entitled to receive if you attempt to deal with an insurance company on your own. This is, in part, due to the fact that insurance companies typically train their claims adjusters to pay out the minimum on claims.

How Long Does It Take to Finalize a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit in Florida?

Each case is unique, so it’s impossible to predict how long it will take to resolve your personal injury case. In Florida, you may spend months or even years resolving your case, although those who wait until their medical treatments are complete typically see a significantly larger sum since you can provide an actual cost instead of an estimate.

Will I Need to Go to Court for My Personal Injury Case?

Not necessarily. A large portion of personal injury lawsuits from motorcycle accidents settle out of court.

If a fair settlement cannot be negotiated, attorney Robert J. Horst will work to prepare a compelling case to present to the court.

Should I Sue the Motorcycle Driver if I Was a Passenger?

If you were injured in a motorcycle accident while riding as a passenger on the back of the bike or in a sidecar, you may be eligible to receive compensation. If the motorcyclist was at fault, you may have a claim against them, whereas if the driver of another vehicle was at fault, you may have a viable personal injury claim against that driver.

Many are hesitant to sue a friend or family member, but it’s important to remember that drivers are required to have insurance in Florida. If you win your case or reach a settlement, your friend/family member will not pay you personally; the insurance company will pay out any claims on his or her behalf.

The Insurance Company for the Other Driver Wants My Medical Records. What Should I Do?

Never release your medical records to another party without consulting an attorney. This is especially important if you’re filing a personal injury claim against the other motorist. Always let your attorney handle requests for information and documents such as medical records.

Does Personal Injury Insurance Protection (PIP) Apply to Florida Motorcycle Accidents?

It’s important to note that PIP policies do not apply to motorcyclists. PIP coverage is no-fault automobile insurance that usually pays 80% of medical bills and 60% of lost wages in the event of a car accident. This coverage is required for all car, truck and SUV drivers as part of Florida’s no-fault laws.

However, PIP does not provide coverage in the event of a motorcycle accident. This may result in major financial hardship after a crash. For this reason, it’s important to trust your case to an experienced Daytona Beach motorcycle accident lawyer who can work to help you get compensation for your losses.

Should I Buy Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM) as a Motorcycle Driver?

It is generally recommended that motorcycle drivers in Florida buy UM coverage. UM will cover some of your medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering in the event of an accident. This is especially important if the other party lacks insurance.

Do I Need to Prove I Suffered a Permanent Injury?

If you were involved in a Daytona Beach motorcycle accident, you will not typically be required to prove a permanent injury in order to file a personal injury claim.

Under state law, all car accident victims must prove that they have suffered permanent/severe injuries in order to obtain non-economic compensation. However, motorcyclists do not have to meet the same burden of proof in order to receive non-economic compensation, such as compensation for pain and suffering.

An experienced Daytona Beach personal injury attorney can use this exception in the state laws to arrive at a favorable conclusion to your case.

What Should I Do if I’m in a Motorcycle Accident With a Hit and Run Driver?

All Florida drivers are required to have $10,000 PIP coverage and $10,000 property damage liability protection. Florida does not require you to have uninsured motorist insurance. But it is strongly recommended for motorcyclists because this type of policy could provide you with coverage in the event of an accident with a hit and run driver.

How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Florida?

Per the Florida statute of limitations, you have four years from the date of your accident to file a personal injury lawsuit.

The sooner you begin building your case, the better your chances of seeing a favorable outcome to your suit.

Trust Your Case to a Top Daytona Beach Motorcycle Accident Attorney

Daytona Beach accident attorney Robert J. Horst has a strong record and extensive experience when it comes to handling personal injury cases stemming from motorcycle accidents. Personal injury lawsuits require comprehensive medical knowledge in addition to legal expertise, and very few attorneys have what it takes to bring about a positive conclusion for your suit.

Serving clients who’ve been involved in motorcycle accidents in Daytona Beach, attorney Robert J. Horst is here to provide you with a free case evaluation. It is wise to call as soon as possible to ensure you maximize your chances of getting the compensation you deserve. Call (407) 601-3999.